If you have actually never ever attempted the Spanish variation of french salute, called Torrijas, you remain in for a genuine reward! The recipe is easy as well as consists of stagnant bread pieces taken in milk as well as eggs, frying pan fried, as well as covered with a spray of cinnamon sugar or honey.
There are a number of meals I loved while residing in Spain (consisting of these easy Torijas) so make certain to take a look at my scrumptious Paella as well as Tortilla de Patatas recipes!
While living with a family members in Madrid, Spain throughout university, I was fortunate sufficient to discover the in’s as well as out’s of numerous Spanish meals from my host, that was an amazing cook! She got fresh bread for our dishes every day, as well as with any kind of leftover/stale bread she would certainly make Torrijas.
Torrijas can be appreciated cozy or cool as well as are typically functioned as a “postre” treat yet can additionally be offered for breakfast. They are specifically prominent at Easter time as well as throughout “semana santa” or the divine week as well as the last day of offered.
For the Bread:
The bread is without a doubt one of the most integral part when making Spanish torrijas. In this recipe I ask for French bread since it’s the closest point I can discover to what we made use of inSpain However, you can make use of a baguette, challah or brioche bread. Slice the loaf in thick 1 1/2 inch pieces as well as make certain to allow it dry for a couple of days on the counter.
Choose your Dip:
Torrijas are prepared in various means relying on individual choice or the area of Spain you check out. The most prominent kinds are:
- Torrijas de Leche: These are the torrijas I appreciated most while residing in Spain as well as the one’s that our host made. Torrijas de leche are bread dipped in milk (with a touch of vanilla), and after that dipped in eggs as well as frying pan fried.
- Torrijas de Vino: It’s additionally prominent to dip the bread in wonderful merlot rather than milk. These are specifically prominent throughout SemanaSanta I have actually additionally seen torrijas dipped in alcohol.
Choose your garnishes:
- Top with cinnamon sugar (my favored technique)
- Top with honey
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Serve with syrup
How to Make Torrijas (a review):
1. Mix milk as well as vanilla. Pour the cozy milk as well as vanilla right into a superficial dish.
2. Beat eggs. Crack the eggs right into one more superficial dish as well as defeat them well till smooth.
3. Dip bread. Dip a piece of bread in the milk on both sides, allowing it take in for a number of secs. Then dip it in the ruined eggs, on both sides.
4. Pan fry. Place in the frying pan as well as cook, frying as well as turning for a number of mins till gold on both sides.
5. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (or honey, powdered sugar, or syrup). Serve cozy or cool as well as offer cool.
- 1 loaf stagnant French bread * , cut right into 1.5 inch thick pieces (concerning 12-15 pieces) *
- 1 1/2 mugs cozy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 huge eggs *
- Oil for frying (canola or veggie)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pour the cozy milk as well as vanilla right into a superficial dish. Crack the eggs right into a different superficial dish as well as defeat them well till smooth.
Combine the granulated sugar as well as cinnamon as well as alloted.
Pour sufficient oil right into a big frying pan to cover all-time low of the frying pan. Turn warmth to tool as well as when oil is warm, yet not cigarette smoking, begin preparing the torijas:
Dip a piece of bread in the milk on both sides, allowing it saturate well. Then, dip it in the ruined prompt both sides. Place in the frying pan as well as cook, frying as well as turning for a couple of mins till gold on both sides.
Remove to a plate lined with paper towels or a cake rack. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (or honey, if liked).
Serve cozy or cool as well as offer cool.
Egg: You will certainly require approximately 1 egg for each 4-5 pieces of bread.
HAVE YOU ATTEMPTED THIS RECIPE?!
PRICE as well as REMARK listed below! I would certainly like to hear your experience.